How Wesley's 3 Means of Grace Can Help You "Wait On The Lord"


For a while now, people have asked about how I have maintained my faith in God through the trials our family has been through.  And, for the longest time I really did not have a response.  Typically, I have said God's grace.  While it was accurate, it was not a fair response.

So I've taken to reflection, research, and writing.  I think the Psalmists encouragement sums up THE FIRST THING which has sustained me and our family.  It has been "waiting on the Lord." This is not just shrugging shoulders and saying, "it is what it is" though.  It is an active involvement of waiting in the sense that I am putting my whole hope on God in His timing.  So, it is far from being passive but is instead focusing with one's heart, tuning it toward God.

THE SECOND THING has been to look at how to keep my heart tuned to God.  As a radio geek, I love being in my car listening to AM radio late at night or early in the morning.  Many mornings I have picked up the signal from KMOX out of St. Louis where we lived for two years and where our son was born.

What I have seen in reflection and research is my life has confirmed the primacy of the three practices John Wesley mentioned in his sermon on the "Means of Grace:"
1. Prayer, whether in secret or with the great congregation;
2. Searching the Scriptures; (which implies reading, hearing, and meditating thereon;) and
3. Receiving the Lord's Supper, eating bread and drinking wine in remembrance of him.

The first two can be done on our own or in a faith community.  The third, the Lord's Supper, keeps us in connection with the larger body.  This, I think, is what is so often ignored in talking about staying in connection with God and why I think "personal communion" ought to be discouraged.  It is also disturbing to see the Table used as a form of protest.  Without community (communion); without others to share the journey, I could not make it where I am and see our family still in one piece.

Regardless what means you use, hear Mr. Wesley plea, "...seek God alone. In and through every outward thing, look singly to the power of his Spirit, and the merits of his Son."


May I Ask?  What "Means" are you using to tune into God?

May I Suggest?  The Upper Room Daily Devotional and App is free or consider
  Soul Tending: Life Forming Practices





0 comments:

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP