Where is the Spirit? Thoughts On A Breath Prayer

Do you ever get caught by the ads online asking: "Whatever happened to these 15 Hollywood stars? You'll be shocked!" I know I do. I got caught by one about NBA stars now bankrupt (Just in case you're interested). Curse you internet!!!

Seriously, though this is part of the breath prayer for this week. Whatever
happened to the Holy Spirit? Where did the third person of the Trinity disappear to in our lives and churches? In their defense, my pentecostal friends and clergy will certainly step up and remind us they have not "lost" the Spirit (and I'm very thankful for this). But in most of pop-Christianity today, I hear mostly the talk of "feeling the Spirit's presence" or "we felt the Spirit today!"

But Jesus did not say he would be sending us one to primarily help us “feel God.”  Jesus said instead...

“When the Spirit of truth comes, he will guide you into all the truth, for he will not speak on his own authority, but whatever he hears he will speak, and he will declare to you the things that are to come. (John 16:13)”

Paul would go on to say the Spirit’s presence would be revealed in us through the Fruit:

“But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness,23 gentleness, self-control; against such things there is no law. (Galatians 5:22-23)”

Praying for the Spirit to be rooted builds on images throughout Jesus’ teaching and reminds me I’m still growing in my understanding of and, maybe more importantly, my relationship with the Almighty. When I began to wonder and question about where the Spirit is, the answer is likely in the fruit of my life and what people see, not what I feel.





1 comments:

Kate Wimision said...

I by and large download a full show up in parts, that is continually present at YouTube, since my framework affiliation is to an awesome degree moderate and YouTube fulfills my goals.
The gift of giving

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP