The Good, The Bad and The Ugly Week 5...Getting to some good stuff

Click here to download the free MP3 of the study

It is a story that could come from a Clint Eastwood western only someone would probably get shot.  King Duncan tells the story of a young man who bought a horse from a farmer for $100. The farmer agreed to deliver the horse the next day. However when the next day arrived, the farmer reneged on his promise.

"I'm afraid the horse has died," he explained.
The young man said, "Well, then give me my money back."
The farmer said, "Can't do that. I spent it already."
The young man thought for a moment and said, "Ok, then, just bring me the dead horse."
The farmer asked, "What you going to do with a dead horse?"
The young man said, "I'm going to raffle it off."
The farmer said, "You can't raffle off a dead horse!"
The young man said, "Sure I can. Watch me.”

A month later, the farmer met up with the young man and asked, "What happened with that dead horse?"

The young man said, "I raffled him off. I sold 500 tickets at two dollars apiece and made a profit of $998..."

For a society that has sterilized our scoundrels and pirates, it is a wonder we still have a problem with this parable that Jesus tells in Luke 16:1-13 about the shrewd manager.  The reality is that it will hurt when God forces our hand. It is going to be uncomfortable "...it's in the pain that we discover our desire for God..." writes author Larry Crabb. The problem with a pirate's life long term is that it is a life lived a the cost of others, even ourselves. But the radical grace of God sometimes hurts and it gives you permission to go after God.
 

0 comments:

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP