The Reality of Running the Hills

There are different options folks take when it comes to hunting turkeys. It is one of the many things that gets me so excited about the nearly two months of turkey hunting we get in Georgia. If you "run and gun" in the turkey woods, you basically get to take a nice stroll in the woods, and stop and set-up from time to time if you want. On the other side, you can go all out - covering ground in yards more than steps.

I prefer the later.

I enjoy the challenge of chasing turkeys on their turf regardless of the weather and conditions. I usually wear my backpacking boots when I know I am going to be taking the steep inclines of power lines or some of the hills we face around Georgia. I have friends who I have taken hunting who later have been stunned by the pace I set. I train and work out with the idea of being able to get to where ever the the birds are hanging out.

Unfortunately, my spiritual life sometimes does not get the same focus. Even as a pastor, I take for granted the need for a single-mindedness to go after God. One person I have gained inspiration from is Joshua. He followed the example of Moses and sought to live every minute for God. He stood before God's people and challenged them, saying,

"If it is disagreeable in your sight to serve the LORD, choose for yourselves today whom you will serve: whether the gods which your fathers served which were beyond the River, or the gods of the Amorites in whose land you are living; but as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD." (Joshua 24:15 NASB)

We are called to live a "marathon" life. Most often we live in "sprints" - going from a spiritual high to a "low" and then looking to get back "up" again. We need to learn from Joshua's example and commitment to place God at the front and live everyday going after His Kingdom.

TIP: Consider developing a year round health plan to be in shape for your hunting season as well as your spiritual life. Set time 4-5 times a week for a 30 minute work-out even if it is simply walking. Either before or after, read from the Bible and a devotion. This way you can stay fit physically and spiritually for every hill or valley you face.

0 comments:

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP