I Think It's Time to Trade In the Multi-tool

This fall for my birthday I got a 6 – in – 1 fleece hood for hunting. You gotta see it! To start, it is a hood, a neck warmer, a hat and even turns into a stuff sack if you need it! It goes great with my multi-tool so I don't have to carry a bunch of little tools into the woods – one will do. Of course, anyone of us with a iPhone, a DSi or almost any electronic, is carrying a multi-tool of technology. They are great to do it all...or are they?

Admit it, we're in the midst of New Year's resolutions and re-evaluating our lives right now anyway so why don't we all come clean. Just how many “hats” do you wear? How many activities are you really involved in doing? From the tasks of laundry, to chauffeur, from business executive to coach, from PTA parent to couch potato, we make choices, always, to do something with our time.

We truly cannot do it all, have it all or be “all that and a bag of chips.”

I do not want you to feel guilty. Most of what we all have going on is good, maybe we enjoy all of it or we know it broadens our kids' life experiences. But somewhere all the doing causes us to miss out on just being.

Jesuit Priest and paleontologist, Pierre Teilhard de Chardin once said, “we are not human beings on a spiritual journey. We are spiritual beings on a human journey.” It is that spiritual piece, our soul that is easily forgotten. Jesus said we are to “Love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, with all your mind, and with all your strength.”(Mark 12:30). Heart – Soul – Mind – Strength. Nope, not quite a multi-tool. It sounds more like a basic pocketknife approach. I think I can handle that balance.

Someone once called it “soul tending.” For me, it is making time in the morning after a workout, to read, write, pray, and take time to do soul work. For some of my friends, it means sitting in a deer stand and for others, it is a cup and an online devotional reading. For some, it is quiet moments in the carpool line with God. I know for some, one hour on the sabbath day is all they can find.

This year, consider putting away a multi-tool approach to life and picking up a pocketknife approach. I have no doubt that it will be good for your soul and for the souls around you.

0 comments:

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP