Confessions of Selfishness

There is a sobering reality as I realized today that Paulding Flood Relief is and will likely be just as much about Paulding helping it's own people as it will be about Paulding helping our fellow neighboring counties. As I look at pictures coming from by fellow pastors in Austell and Douglasville, as rain pours again, and as I look at my muddy boots in my dry garage; I realize just how much we still don't get it.

I mean that even personally not just corporately. I confess, I am still struggling with my own selfishness that my schedule has been interrupted. My plans for the weeks and months ahead must change. Why?

Something just came along and robbed my neighbor. Can we blame the storm? Sure and so we could blame God too right? I mean, that is the easy way out. But it wasn't Jesus' way.

Jesus replied: As a man was going down from Jerusalem to Jericho, robbers attacked him and grabbed everything he had. They beat him up and ran off, leaving him half dead. A priest happened to be going down the same road. But when he saw the man, he walked by on the other side. Later a temple helper came to the same place. But when he saw the man who had been beaten up, he also went by on the other side. A man from Samaria then came traveling along that road. When he saw the man, he felt sorry for him and went over to him. He treated his wounds with olive oil and wine and bandaged them. Then he put him on his own donkey and took him to an inn, where he took care of him. The next morning he gave the innkeeper two silver coins and said, "Please take care of the man. If you spend more than this on him, I will pay you when I return." Then Jesus asked, "Which one of these three people was a real neighbor to the man who was beaten up by robbers?" The teacher answered, "The one who showed pity." Jesus said, "Go and do the same!" (Luke 10:30-37)

I noticed today that Jesus didn't blame the robbers at all, they're a side note to the story. Who Jesus condemns are those who walked by. Jesus doesn't indicate how long the man from Samaria may have thought over the need in front of him. The man even realized he could only do so much - he couldn't do all that was necessary to help the needy.

Sure, one more reason to blame God. One more reason God isn't fair. You and I can't do it all either BUT you can do something and Jesus says that is what matters - not our opinions of God.


2 comments:

John Meunier said...

Powerful witness, Ken.

Recall the response to the confession. Hear the good news. While we were yet sinners, Christ died for us.

Peace be with you.

Blogger said...

eToro is the #1 forex trading platform for beginning and advanced traders.

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP