Beyond the Hunt

Hunting season has just begun with the start of small game hunting last weekend. That got me thinking about one of the lessons I learned recently. This past spring, I took my son turkey hunting for the first time. Understand, I am fairly new to hunting myself. However, I also believe the best way to really learn something is to teach it to others.

We set-up early on private land in a small pop-up blind and waited for the first sounds of crows. Sure enough, as the sun came up and crows began calling, the first turkey gobbled. We practiced patience for a time but I knew my son was not going be content for too long especially when the gobblers went silent.

We began moving about and stirred up another gobbler but he went silent moments later. Then I saw the problem, we had a coyote in the area. Looking back on it, I think we should have set-up on the coyote but I was not sure exactly what to do even if we had! Instead, my son got to see some wildlife up-close when that coyote got within 10 feet of me and my son and spooked.

We did not hunt much longer after that encounter. We set-up on a target and my son got to fire off a 20-gauge for the first time. We enjoyed the time and he is ready to go get his first bird next year.

This reminded me of what Paul wrote to the Ephesians in 5:15, “Look carefully then how you walk, not as unwise but as wise…” In our moral behaviors we need to walk wisely. I could have pushed my son to hunt longer, it was still early but would that have been for him or me? In the same way, we need to be wise in facing temptation, in relationships with co-workers but especially in how we pass on our faith and heritage to the next generation.

May I Ask: Who was the last person you taught?
May I Suggest: The next time you learn something, turn around and teach it to someone else in the next seven days. Come back and let me know how it turned out.


Sportsmen Tip: Know your limits and your partner(s). Always carry your ten essentials into the woods so you are prepared. Be sure to note how physical and mental strain may be causing stress in those you hunt with. Even the smallest outing can turn miserable if we’re not wise.

0 comments:

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP