Thanksgiving Comes Early In The Woods!


It was ninja day in the woods as both of these birds came on quiet and never gobbled.

First one I shot around 10am and weighed in around 19lbs, 1" spurs and 10" beard. The second was my ninja skills as I found him making too much noise eating and I only had seconds to set-up on him. He was around 1pm and weighed in around 18lbs, 3/4" spurs and 10" beard as well.

After cleaning them, I'm planning on sending some of the feathers off to a native American tribe. The meat is now in the freezer and I give thanks for God's blessings. I would never have imagined any of the scenarios that played out and it is not lightly I thank God.

Here are just a few things: both were with my grandfather's gun (a '67, JC Higgins, SXS). The first bird I had to hit from 40 yards. The only reason I had a chance at the second bird was because I left my call in the woods and had to go back. That meant I but over 25,000 steps on my pedometer in one day!

I've learned so much about myself in few times I've been out too and have grown to be much more patient. God uses so many things to shape us and change us and I'm thankful for it all.

2 comments:

Earl said...

Those are good looking birds! You have every reason to be thankful. Some of my most precious memories are days spent with family and church members hunting and fishing. One of my best friends was virtually a "magician" in the way he could locate and call turkeys. I treasure his memory. That you got both birds with a standard, 12 gauge (I assume) J.C. Higgins double-barrel handed down from your g.father only enriches the experience. When your g.father's shotgun was produced, the wild turkey population in the U.S. was dying out. Along with quail and other small and large game species, turkeys are now a well established population entirely as a result of the money that has been produced by the fees paid by hunters. May your tribe increase!

JediPastorKen said...

Hey Earl, thanks for stopping by and for your reflections. You bring up great points. I'm trying hard to evaluate the lessons I'm learning from hunting. So many aren't aware how much hunters value the environment and wildlife - as much so arguably as Sierra Club. Hunters put up a lot of money without complaining for the programs that keep public land public open and available to all.

I'm proud to say I've supported Sierra Club but equally proud to support the rights of Americans to hunt responsibly. I've walked in both sets of shoes now. If only more would choose to do the same.

Stop by for my full story of the hunt coming up later today (I hope).

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP