Take Out - Peace In The Following

How often do we get the set down meal? How many times does your schedule allow time to date your spouse? How many times do you say you can’t ‘find’ time for your kids?

Yes, it even happens to pastors along the way. I’ve gotten so into a novel or video game from time to time that needed things have gotten pushed to the side. There have been the times when Facebook has wrapped me up or I’ve StumbledUpon one more thing online. And yes, the outdoors – hiking and hunting – have offered up the siren call that draws me away - even from the list that must get done.

We do need Sabbath. We do need RE-creation. Our lives were not meant to keep the pace that most of us set for ourselves – myself included. Yet, with the economy, with the media pressures and with our own guilt pushing is on – we keep going. We try for an extra moment of work. We steal moments away from our kids, our spouse or from God to get one last part of a project finished.

I’ve been mulling words from Oswald Chambers around for a while now. They namely related to these verses:

"Place my yoke over your shoulders, and learn from me, because I am gentle and humble. Then you will find rest for yourselves because my yoke is easy and my burden is light." (Matthew 11:29-30, GW)

None of us do much work with oxen these days I know. Yokes are just not something we talk about unless we’re trying to cut back on our cholesterol.

Chambers wrote, ““Jesus is asking us to take one end of the yoke - "My yoke is easy, get alongside Me and we will pull together." Are you identified with the Lord Jesus like that? If so, you will thank God for the pressure of His hand. "To them that have no might He increaseth strength."”

I don’t know need to know what a yoke is, I just need to know that what Jesus is doing, he is asking me to join Him in doing.

He doesn’t ask me if I LIKE IT.
He doesn’t ask me if I’M TIRED.
He doesn’t ask me if IT SMELLS GOOD.
He doesn’t ask me if I’M GETTING DIRTY.
He doesn’t ask me if I PRAYED ABOUT IT.
He doesn’t ask me if I’M ENJOYING MYSELF.
He doesn’t ask me if IT IS MY KIND OF MUSIC.
He doesn’t ask me if IT FEELS COMFORTABLE.

Jesus asks me to pull with Him.

Do you get that? I don’t.

I don’t get why God Almighty is, in fact, inviting ME to JOIN in HIS mission!

Doesn’t he know I’m going to screw it up?
Doesn’t he know I’m not strong enough?
Doesn’t he know I’m not spiritual enough?
Doesn’t he know I’m already busy enough?
Doesn’t he know I already volunteer enough?

Oh, yeah, I’m sure He knows. In fact, I’m fairly certain he already covered the gist of our excuses (check out Luke 9:57-62). I know for certain John Wesley, the founder of the Methodist movement didn’t think highly of excuses either.

But then Jesus didn’t call us to more volunteering. Jesus didn’t call us to another non-profit organization or business venture. Jesus asked us to follow him – to push alongside him – to join in his mission. And it is in the mission we find “intermission for our soul!”

There is no peace in silence but only in Jesus’ presence – where ever He leads.

0 comments:

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP