The Church Planting Fish Tale

Call it what you want – stretching the truth, embellishment, fish tale – it is still lying. I always wondered how my parents always busted me on it when I was a kid. As a parent now, Heather and I almost always know when our kids are trying to pull one over – parents just know. The cat is a whole other story.

It is a hard time right now. Period. For everybody. Period.

No one lives in a vacuum and if they are living there then they are the only ones who don’t realize they are covered in dirt (when was the last time you opened your vacuum – I rest my case).

My coach gave me some advice that surprised me. He told me to be more transparent about church planting - that it is the hardest thing I've ever done (it is) and that every day I'm pushed to the limit (I am) and there is always more to be done (there is). It isn't that I was trying to hide these things, I mean, no one wants to be at someone elses' pity party. It just seemed like few other church planters want to talk about it and some people don't want to hear anything else.

Then I read Scott Ginsberg’s post today. At first glance it may sounds harsh. And while it is business focused, the truth is clear:

o Stop lying. Get out of the habit of mindlessly telling people, “Business is great!” No, it isn’t. Not unless you’re a foreclosure company. Stop putting on an act and start sharing your authentic experience. People will take notice of your candor.

o Own your slowness. Try saying this: “You know, business is actually pretty slow right now. But, I welcome that challenge. And the good news is, I’ve been putting in overtime on a few new business growth strategies. And I’m confident that, with a lot of hard work, they’re going to overcome this slump.” People will take notice of your balance between optimism and realism.


Jesus put it this way when dealing with conversations “Let what you say be simply 'Yes' or 'No'; anything more than this comes from evil.(Matthew 5:37 ESV)” One of my favorite writers, Adam Clarke described Jesus’ approach...
“Do not equivocate; mean what you assert, and adhere to your assertion.”

Just remember to keep a clear picture in your mind of what happens when the motor on a vacuum is reversed. ‘nuff said.

So for the record:

It is the hardest thing I've ever done (it is) and that every day I'm pushed to the limit (I am) and there is always more to be done (there is) and I'm so thankful to be doing it!

May I Ask: When was the last time covering up or stretching the truth ever benefited you?
May I Suggest: Make it a point to focus on being genuine at home, at work and in your community. It may mean writing out a response just to get the words right.

0 comments:

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP