Getting Ready for the REAL New Year

It is almost time for school to start back up. That makes this a real scary time. It means my kids are getting older (our son Logan just turned 10 this summer). It means Cub Scouts is starting up again (more training as I'm now wearing an Assistant Cubmaster hat...what was I thinking!). It means Crossroads United Methodist Church is on the final days of gearing up for preseason and launch.

It also means I'm older.

Part of it is my birthday being in September but some time ago, the calendar year seemed to change from January 1 to the start of school. Kids have tended to become the center of life more and more (along with football) in our USA worlds. Is that a bad thing?

Well, think about it. How much of style is dictated today by kids? How much are parents now spending to take tweeners to Hannah Montana concerts? How much is spent on cell phones for kids who can just go next door to talk with their friend? How often do parents stay together for the kids, only to divorce once the kids go to college?

My son said the other day, "You want me to be a little adult!" I almost passed the comment by and then I stopped. I told him, "No, I want you to be a kid who is practicing what to do to be an adult."

I realized then, how we allow certain Bible verses to get so attached to events or ideas, we fail to see them anymore. That conversation with my son jogged this piece of Paul's wisdom loose:

When I was a child, my speech, feelings, and thinking were all those of a child; now that I am an adult, I have no more use for childish ways. (1 Corinthians 13:11 GNB)

I'm not sure how well we can follow Paul's logic when too often, adults are found acting like children. Just look at any election year's politics! At some point, we grow up, we have too. We take responsibility because it is what adults do. We take responsibility because it is what the faithful do.

As the real new year begins and I prepare to add that extra year on my body as well, I've been reading from Matthew's history of Jesus' life. In there is a great story about a CEO who leaves his subordinates with financial responsibilities while he is away. On his return, he checks on their progress and to two of the three he says of their conduct,

'Well done, good and faithful [one]. You were faithful with a few things, I will put you in charge of many things; enter into the joy of your master.' (Matthew 25:21 NASB)


If you're like me, NOW is the time for New Year's Resolutions. Not to do more, or do better, or be better. No, it is a time of faithfulness, to consider our faithfulness in our lives with all that matters most. For me, it is as a Jesus-follower, a husband, a dad, and a church planter/pastor. What about you?

May I Ask? How are you getting ready for the REAL new year?

May I Suggest? Get some time away, start with 4 hours. Look at your schedule, what matters most and have you blocked time for those things? Where does your spiritual life fit into the equation?

0 comments:

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP