Living Like Jesus When Everyone Knows Your Name

It has been close to a year since I began wearing a name tag everyday. Along the way there have been connections made with strangers, friendships started with greeters at Wal-Mart, as well as snide remarks and comments. Off the top of my head, I've worked for free at Home Depot, Target, Big Lots, and Dollar Tree to name a few. All in all, it has been one of the neatest experiences along the journey of starting Crossroads UMC.

I can't thank Scott enough for his inspiration and encouragement. In one recent blog, Scott asked the question, "What if everyone did wear a nametags?" I'm still pondering if there is anything I have to add. What I do know, is that when I wear a nametag, I am challenged to do many of the things on the list.

It does make me more accountable and more aware regarding who I represent. No, not a church or denomination but Jesus Christ. When everyone knows your name, have you ever thought how real and challenging Jesus' words would be? Think about these...
"If you love those who love you, do you deserve a reward? Even the tax collectors do that! Are you doing anything remarkable if you welcome only your friends? Everyone does that! That is why you must be perfect as your Father in heaven is perfect.(Matthew 5:43-48 GW)"

Yeah, I didn't either but I can tell you I'm thankful for it. It certainly has added elements to my life and my faith journey I had not counted on. Maybe the biggest thing is trying to be authentic, realizing that when everyone knows your name, would they equate your life with Jesus' life? Is my life, in fact, reflecting how Jesus lived not in some legalistic, rule following way, but do I love my neighbor and the stranger?

Oh, one of the ways of being more authentic is that my nametag is a magnet (thanks to my good friend, Bill @ Signs & More) so I'm saving trees!


May I Ask: How are you practicing authenticity in your life?

May I Suggest: Pick one of your core values and focus on it for 24 hours. Try and live it out as best you can. What did you learn? Can you try it again?

0 comments:

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP