A Perfect Ministry Day?

I keep finding that somehow the days I have set aside for working on an important project get pushed aside for meetings and events beyond my control. In ministry, I find sometimes my schedule is someone else's schedule.

Which is why I think John Jantsch's blog on "What would the perfect business day look like?" is great. What on earth would a perfect ministry day look like?

What did those days look like for Jesus? How about Peter? And what about Paul? As a Methodist, I often wonder how mine would compare to John Wesley. Is it a comparison of apples and oranges or can an argument be made that the ministry day of the pastor/clergy/elder remains the same as it did 2000 years ago?

I know from experience that when others determine my day, I should be in the office from 8am to 5pm so anyone can drop by and talk with me. I should be visiting with people most of my day as well. During this time, I should also write incredible engaging sermons, provide leadership to Bible Studies and committees, have time to pray and nurture my inner life as well as spend time with my family.

I don't know if there is a perfect ministry day. It is probably more realistic for pastors/clergy/elders to look at a perfect ministry week than merely one day. I think for certain it is in the eye of the beholder or at least in the eye of the schedule holder.



May I Ask: Who is best equipped to determine the schedule of clergy?

May I Suggest: Consider asking some clergy who consistently lead growing churches how they determine the "perfect day?"

2 comments:

Qui-Gon Jinn said...

After 20 plus years as an ordained United Methodist, I can testify to the fact a perfect ministry day, week or year does not exist.

An attempt to define 'perfect' by the criteria your post mentioned creates a burdensome list of unrealistic expectations both for ourselves and of other about us. This is the old unhealthy model standard measure for a perfect ministry day, week or year. It ends up reversing the advice to serve God and minister to the people into serve the people.

A much healthier model is one lived out from one's devotion to Christ as outline @ bachdevelopment.com/BACH6b4.html.

The first leads clergy to burnout as they attempt to fulfill the mythical illusion of "pastor super-star'

Ken L. Hagler said...

Qui-gon,

Thanks for the link. Some good stuff there. And thanks for your thoughts on the post. You hit on part of what I was thinking.

I found John Jantsch's blog insightful primarily because people were redefining "the workday" from their own point of view. Goodness knows, if the business world is discovering it, I think in part, clergy need to be allowed some of the same freedoms.

In the on going discussions on the lack of younger clergy, I have to wonder if this plays a part.

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP