From Credit to Cash to Contributions - Why the crying?


Yep, it is the time right before Christmas and there is grousing and complaining that people aren't spending money like they used to. Really? And that is a bad thing?

For the third year, the American Research Foundation has found US Americans are planning to spend less. Excuse me but I would think that would be something to celebrate! I don't know but I would guess that with the problems with mortgages and consumer credit, the fact that for the third year, we're being a little smarter in spending would be a good thing!

Maybe you missed that the Association of Fundraising Professionals (Okay, I didn't know such an organization existed either) reported that U.S. charitable giving surged near $300 billion in 2006. I don't know but that sure sounds like some good news overall too. Could it be that the two are connected?

I'm not a statistician nor am I trying to play one on the internet. I just can't help but notice there seem to be people doing good things. People appear more aware of wasting money. People appear more aware of needs in the world around them. I'd say that would be something to celebrate!
"But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys, and where thieves do not break in or steal; for where your treasure is, there your heart will be also." (Matthew 6:20-21 NASB)


May I Ask: What have you found to celebrate this season?

May I Suggest: Look for things to celebrate and give thanks for. Be sure to tell someone else or thank someone else and pass it on!


Picture by sskies

1 comments:

John said...

It's only scary to those who prefer an economy dependent upon spending, even spending from debt. Remember the great challenge that the President gave to America after 9/11? Go and spend money. It was feared that consumer spending would plummet and we would slip into a recession. Solution: go get your bling bling.

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP