Honestly, how honest are we?

Are you an Honest Person? (Take this self-evaluation and find out.)
True or False - I am truthful, sincere, and straightforward.
True or False - I don't lie, cheat, or steal.
True or False - I don't intentionally mislead others.


In this year of the Preacher (Ted Haggard), the Performer (Michael Vick) and the Politician (Larry Craig), honesty seems to be a real struggle for some. We're not talking about forgetting specifics of a conversation or the time you picked up laundry. The idea of intentionally misleading or covering or hiding behind plea deals is where I struggle with thoughts of leniency.

And as I prepare for talking this Sunday regarding honesty, I ran across this great post from Honesty Blog regarding a recent experiment done by Reader's Digest:

This test or you could also call it a “social experiment” was conducted in 32 cities around the world. Guess which city came out on top? Staffers left behind 30 cell phones in various locations throughout the city and waited to see how the finder reacted.

The honesty gold medal went to city of Ljubljana, Slovenia (29 out of 30). The honesty silver medal went to Toronto, Canada (28 out of 30). The honesty bronze medal went to Seoul, South Korea (27 out of 30). The fourth position went to Stockholm, Sweden (26 out of 30). In a three-way tie for fifth place were the cities of New York, United States, Manila, Philippines and Mumbai, India (24 out of 30).

The blog is run by Joël A. Núñez who founded the site I'm Honest. This is such a great service and wonderful blog with stories to encourage. You should definitely check it out.

Coincidentally (or not), my son and I have been reading through Proverbs at night as he goes to sleep. Proverbs is one of my favorite books in the Bible (I need all the help with wisdom I can get). I'm reminded of the writer's comments
Riches will do you no good on the day you face death, but honesty can save your life. (Proverbs 11:4 GNB)




May I Ask: When have you been on the receiving end of an act of honesty? Think of a time you acted with honesty. How did it make you feel? How did others respond?
May I Suggest: Reflect on the actions in others you respect and then the actions you despise. Are there parallels in your own life? Spend a week reading from the Book of James, examine your own behaviors and make honest changes.

0 comments:

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP