Heard from God lately?

What would you do if God really did talk back to you?

When you're a pastor, you hear people's confessions about why they're not in church or why their church is the best church. You can learn about their relatives who are in ministry too. Sometimes you really get to know people. But it seems, from time to time, someone will want to go deeper. They really want to know about knowing God. They want to talk with God. Fact is, we've all got something to say but...

What would you do if God really did talk back to you?


It was about this time last year (Chris Bryant can back this up), that my daily habit of reading, reflection and prayer was...well...let's just say it wasn't cutting it. I wasn't growing, I wasn't connecting with God. At all. More to the point, I didn't feel like I knew Jesus. Sure, I knew ABOUT Him. But know Him? Nope, we weren't connecting. So I prayed about that, I told God I wanted to get to know Jesus. What was the question again...

What would you do if God really did talk back to you?

I got an answer. It wasn't some audible thing. I didn't see Morgan Freeman or George Burns. It was more a thought. A thought that made a WHOLE LOT OF SENSE.

It went something like this...
"You want to know Jesus? You see that book there? The one you read every day called a Bible (God has great sarcasm in my thoughts). Yeah, there are four histories of Jesus' life in there. So read one. The same one. Everyday. For a year. Live with Jesus. Think on Jesus. Listen to Jesus. Hang with Jesus. At the end of the year. Start another. Wash. Rinse. Repeat."
Remember the question: What would you do if God really did talk back to you?

Me? I started doing what God said. And it has made A WHOLE LOT OF SENSE (which confirms for me the thought must of come from God).

I've been reading things in the Gospel of Luke I've read countless times before. But I'm not reading for knowledge, I'm reading for relationship. I'm not trying to memorize anything or become an expert. I'm reading for relationship. I'm reading because I want talk with God and have a conversation.

Like today for instance. I read these words from Luke. The "He" speaking here is Jesus...
And He said to them, "When I sent you out without money belt and bag and sandals, you did not lack anything, did you?" They said, "No, nothing." And He said to them, "But now, whoever has a money belt is to take it along, likewise also a bag, and whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one. "For I tell you that this which is written must be fulfilled in Me, 'AND HE WAS NUMBERED WITH TRANSGRESSORS'; for that which refers to Me has its fulfillment." They said, "Lord, look, here are two swords." And He said to them, "It is enough." (Luke 22:35-38 NASB)
What is enough, you ask? The number of swords? The amount of money? The number of coats? Nah.

What I hear in this is Jesus saying, "You just don't get it! Three years and you still don't get it! Enough of this, I need some air!" And it seems, that today, as I worry about not doing enough, as I grow anxious over the work of starting a new church, being a good dad, trying to be a caring husband, as I wish this and that...Jesus says, "it is enough! After all this time, don't you get it? Ken, let's get some air!"

What would you do if God really did talk back to you?

Would God speak English or Spanish? Would it be in a thought or a feeling? Would it be a cloud or a car horn on the interstate? Would it be in a blog or newspaper? A baby crying or a YouTube video? Would you even know it was God's voice?




May I Ask: So...what would you do?

May I Suggest: Practice hearing God by reading from God's words. Visit our new church's website section on Authentic Faith Nexus for some help.

0 comments:

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP