Is it Chick-fil-a's Fault?

For the record let me clarify, I am an environmentalist. I've even been a member of the Sierra Club. When I go hiking and backpacking, I try to pack out not just my trash but other people's trash along the way (within reason). I try to teach it to my children and my scout den.

For the record, I'm really tired of hearing about carbon footprints. I find it interesting how those who are drawing attention to environmental concerns, live in some of the largest houses, drive some of the biggest cars and fly in private jets. So lets all call it like it is shall we.

It is Chick-fil-a's fault.

Not really but come on, cow's farts do so much more damage to the environment. All this talk of "Eat Mor Chikin!" and the cute billboards is only doing more damage to the environment by allowing more cows to live! We need to eat more double and triple cheeseburgers!

Seriously though, h/t to Thomas Robey at Hope for Pandora for his recent post onCarbon Footprint: Cow Farts. He understands this much better than I do and offers a better argument for how our eating habits impact the environment.

I don't think anyone is the bad guy in the struggle over environmental concerns. It is a combination of too many factors and habits developed over many years. To be fair, it is also the results of an amazing planet, which has been changing, developing and (dare I say it) evolving over millions of years.

For our part, there is an obvious dependence on convenience and personal preferences with a disregard for the impact. Any part the human creature has played in the process has more to do ultimately with our fallen nature, a desire to have things our own way. For centuries, the Church called it sin. It still does. The Church also has declared there to be an answer, choosing to follow Jesus Christ.

There is also a choice we can make regarding the environment. We can choose to care and act. My children are more concerned and educated about the environment than I was at their age. I think that is a great thing. But it is more, when we go hiking, they are the ones who spot the trash in the streams. They are the ones who founded "The Green Club" in our home (though mom and dad tend to be the reminders).

The choice to care and act does not carry with it the promises that faith in Jesus Christ does. However, it does give us hope. And if there is hope, I believe there is a chance to make a difference. As a Scout leader, I try to teach the importance of "Leave No Trace." All of us are going to leave some trace, even cows and chickens. I'd rather my trace be in the hearts and lives of others.

How about you?



May I Ask: How are you trying to "care and act?"

May I Suggest: Visit my pal SemperFidelis' lens at Squidoo. She has a lot of great tips on recycling. Pick one thing and make it habit for a month. By then it maybe a habit for good. Tell me here which one you picked!

3 comments:

Z054J said...

Careful: Admitting to environmentalism is only one step away from qualifying for the Special Olympics.

As Christians, we are to be good stewards of God's Creation. We believe in responsible use of materials and resources as a matter of respect for the work of God and as a means of righteous management of the gifts we've been given. It is not for the sake of the planet that we do this, but for the glory of God All-Mighty.

Environmentalism is anti-Christian. It is a religion unto itself, or at least the fanatical wing of the church of the human being. Therein lies the misplaced faith of the atheists, the witches, the communists and the academic community.

Also: You might not have heard the latest horrible news in the world of animal flatulence. Apparently moose burps are far more dangerous than cow farts.

thomas said...

Jedi Ken: I like your post. You are right to equate environmentalism with Christian stewardship. Z054J seems to me blinded by his impression that scientists, academics and environmentalists are godless people. I think we do well to understand God's creation for how it was meant to be so that we can work towards restoring it to a state of equilibrium before human exploitation corrupted it.

The underlying issue concerning eating meat is not just the farting... it's how much more carbon commercial meat-producing agriculture produces than other food sources. I'd like to recommend this post for more details about that...

Thanks again for your consideration of this topic. (& for the link!)

Ken L. Hagler said...

Thomas,
Thanks for the comment and the great post to spur me on. Sorry I've not yet returned the favor.

z054j,
Just can't seem to take you anywhere where you won't stir something up. ;)

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP