Summer Sabbath

I've always thought of my day off as my sabbath time. When my kids were little, they talked about dad taking his "sabbiff." Sometimes sabbath is half a day and sometimes all day. Regardless, I know I've got to have rest.

At one time my sabbath was spent eating lunch in the Mall of Georgia food court, reading and people watching. My sabbaths have included retreats, messing around in the yard and sleeping in. These days, I like my sabbaths at home. With my current responsibilities, it has been most meaningful to have find rest at our little abode.

We all need to find time to slow down and rest. It doesn't need to be squeezed in or come by it by accident. Just recently I got onto one of my former interns who is now a youth pastor about taking his day off. Trust me, it is not just for you but also for the people around you too.



Scott Ginsberg outlines some great ideas in his recent post
Daily Appointments With Yourself.




You might also try MethodX.
This site will help in developing spiritual habits that lead to a more authentic faith.



Today, sabbath has meant spending time with my family, playing in the yard, and catching up on a little sleep. Let's not forget, God did rest on the seventh day. You don't have to tell me twice.


May I Ask: Where have you put sabbath in your schedule? If you haven't...make it so!

2 comments:

John said...

I have sensed that a non-Sabbath lifestyle is essentially demanded of any candidate for the ordained ministry. After ordination, we may Sabbath, but not before.

Ken L. Hagler said...

In the NGA Annual Conference we get grilled on our perserving our Sabbath/days off. After losing 3 pastors of some reputation this year it is not hard to see why.

What indicators do you find that give you the impression Sabbath keeping is to be ignored during probation?

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP