Preaching Performance



What did people hear in worship yesterday? What did you say in worship yesterday? The two are not always the same. Now, I recognize not everyone who reads this is involved as a preacher but then the article I'm referencing isn't from a preacher.

Speaking as a Performing Art was posted on Guy Kawasaki's blog this past week. As I was at Annual Conference, I didn't have much opportunity to reflect on this. Until this morning.

Having myself taken a speech course and been a theatre minor, some of these points I was familiar with. Having been in ministry for over 10 years, I can affirm many of these techniques. The reality is, however, there is always more to learn.

I would encourage you to regularly get feedback from people and even record and watch yourself. Recently, Tom, my senior pastor, listened to one of my sermons and commented about number 11. Tee it Higher. It seems I preached most of the sermon in my upper register, conveying much more urgency than I intended too. It also sped up my sermon.

You can have the best message in the world but something gets in the way. Sometimes it is the heart of the people. Sometimes it is the time of the year. Sometimes it is the enemy. Sometimes it is music. But sometimes it is the messenger who becomes the barrier.

May I Ask: When was the last time you got a critique of your sermon or talk?

May I Suggest:Give someone you respect a copy of
Speaking as a Performing Art and have them review your work this week.

1 comments:

John said...

Last week I preached at the hospital chapel as part of my CPE program. The service was recorded and played back for evaluation afterwards. Pressed for time and knowing its relative importance, I just did a retread of a five-minute devotional (chapel may not exceed 15 minutes, start to finish). I was struck that this was the first time that I had ever seen myself preach. And I guess that the next time will be for my BOOM work. Odd that I hadn't done this before.

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP