Plop in a Spot


One of the lessons I've learned as a church planter is that you've got to get connected to your community in a genuine way. Find a place you feel like is a good fit and get started volunteering.

My son was ready to start Cub Scouts last fall. As a former Scout it seemed like a great fit. During our popcorn selling I took business cards (just in case) but my goal was first and foremost to be with my son and second was to meet my neighbors. A number of doors have opened from that simple choice to plop in a spot in the community that seemed natural.

It maybe Rotary or Kiwanis. It could be coaching a sport. Regardless, at some point, and the sooner the better, get connected - find a nexus to your community. And that is a message which applies to more than just pastors.

"You are the salt of the earth, but if salt has lost its taste, how shall its saltiness be restored? It is no longer good for anything except to be thrown out and trampled under people's feet. "You are the light of the world. A city set on a hill cannot be hidden. Nor do people light a lamp and put it under a basket, but on a stand, and it gives light to all in the house." (Matthew 5:13-15 ESV)


May I ask: Where have you found a spot?

0 comments:

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP