Leaving a Legacy


This past week I had the true privilege of speaking with our Middle Schoolers and High Schoolers at Due West on legacy. I've thought about and talked about legacy through the years. I've worried about legacy and come to grips to the possiblities and regrets.


At this point in my life, I've come to the following realizations:

AUTHENTICITY
I have found that the more authentic your life and faith are the more misunderstood you could become or the more inspirational. Let them say what they want, the majority of people are looking for authenticity, they are longing for it. If you're authentic, you'll be a draw.

LAW OF LEGACY
Newton's Third Law of Motion goes something like this: "for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction." I call it the Law of Legacy. Legacies are the reactions to your actions. Whatever we do, whatever we say, however we act, in all we do, we leave behind a legacy. But for all you do, it is still...

OUT OF CONTROL
Your legacy is out of your control. There are people who, no matter what you do the rest of your life, will never forgive you for putting gum in their hair in second grade. There are people who will hate you for whatever bumper sticker is on your car.

LEAVE IT BEHIND
I had to leave one position as a youth pastor earlier than I wanted too. The issues around my leaving consisted of convictions, integrity, and authenticity. I had so many things still to do and I left a lot undone. My dad said to me, "Son, if you were doing your job then you're going to leave somethings undone." Thanks, Pop for the legacy you've been leaving.

TRUE PERSPECTIVE
Jesus points out, rather clearly, I might add, what is most important in your legacy is to be true to your faith and your relationship with God.

"Jesus continued, "Now to what can I compare the people of this day? What are they like? They are like children sitting in the marketplace. One group shouts to the other, 'We played wedding music for you, but you wouldn't dance! We sang funeral songs, but you wouldn't cry!' John the Baptist came, and he fasted and drank no wine, and you said, 'He has a demon in him!' The Son of Man came, and he ate and drank, and you said, 'Look at this man! He is a glutton and wine drinker, a friend of tax collectors and other outcasts!' 35) God's wisdom, however, is shown to be true by all who accept it." (Luke 7:31-35 GNB)

Jesus was in a no-win situation then and the situation still hasn’t changed much. Jesus lived wisely however: honest, consistent and authentic. His legacy surrounds us.

MAY I ASK: How are you building a legacy?

0 comments:

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP