Check Your Facts


I can't say homework was one of my favorite things to do. Heck, I didn't like schoolwork much either. I remember my first grade teacher, Ms. Swain, finding all my worksheets crumpled up in my desk. Man, was she mad! Thankfully, first grade didn't set the tone for the rest of my life (contrary to the opinions of some). I've grown to understand how researching, writing and asking questions are all important things to put on your agenda.

Questioning in Context
Now my work is as a pastor and church planter but I think the points can be applied to others as well. I've learned to read and question thoughts and ideas of others as well as myself. Whether you are a pastor, business owner, teacher, astronaut: ask questions, lots of questions. Be sure to question yourself too. If you are a church planter, don't spend too much time asking questions of church planters. We all love way out ideas and some are in another galaxy. Same goes for other professions - research outside your field. Spend time with proven leaders and lead pastors.

When did you last prepare a picnic?
“The examined life is no picnic” wrote Robert Fulghum. If you've done a picnic recently you know how true that is. Let's face it, picnics today consist for most of us as KFC or a pizza. But then I attribute this to the problem of...

Defective Definitions
Why does easy get defined as "good" and difficult as "bad"? My dad was always quick to remind me that anything worth doing was worth doing well and doing well means doing work. I'm convinced authentic faith, grows in part, when anyone takes time to reflect on their lives, beliefs and experiences. This applies to our relationships and careers as well.

Can't find the door?
“The mere attempt to examine my own confusion would consume volumes” - James Agee. Examining and reflecting starts with good questions. If you're having problems with coming up with good questions, check out Don the Idea Guy and his thoughts on "Killing Cats".

Jesus knew what he was talking about when he constantly compared faith to real life. His words are a case in point:
"Suppose one of you wants to build a tower. Will he not first sit down and estimate the cost to see if he has enough money to complete it? For if he lays the foundation and is not able to finish it, everyone who sees it will ridicule him, saying, 'This fellow began to build and was not able to finish.' (Luke 14:28-30, NIV)


May I ask: What good questions have you asked?

Let me know what questions you've found helpful and post it here!

0 comments:

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP